Wednesday, August 01, 2007

Atlanta


1984, originally uploaded by getawayplans.

I must have made this playlist without actually looking at the tracks. There's no continuity but I like it. Half of it seems to be in French. Je l'aime.

The tracks in the photo criscross my Atlanta. We were a railroad town once, (and currently), built solely for trains and transport. Our first name was Terminus, the point where tracks converged; ended. The old tracks are still in use, a kind of moving embroidery lacing the map. The ubiquitous rumble-clack of moving boxcars is just the sound of my city breathing, steady, strong. Through war and social upheaval, economic hardship and incredible loss, our ground's become accustomed to the constant sound. Train whistles lull me to sleep each night, remind me that this city is strong still after all these years and will remain so. And something of that has become important recently. I have lived in and around this town nearly all of my life but only recently has it become a part of me.

No comments: